In a paper to the NSW PIA Conference 2010, SGS Director Patrick Fensham proposed six key roles the Australian government could assume in addressing urban and regional planning in Australia.
- Re-organise the urban and regional settlement agenda around a strategic logic
- Work with the States on metropolitan governance reform
- Commit to a share of GDP to be spent on nationally significant urban and regional infrastructure
- Establish a local ‘development and infrastructure bank' using super funds
- Begin the east coast ‘network cities' high speed rail project
- Commit to a green economy for regional development