City of Melbourne
West Melbourne, Victoria
Economic and employment land use analysis helps develop West Melbourne’s economy.
We worked with the City of Melbourne to understand the economic and employment profile of West Melbourne. Our study informed the West Melbourne Structure Plan.
West Melbourne is a long-established area with a strong community, a diverse mix of housing, warehouses and businesses, and a rich cultural and architectural heritage. The West Melbourne Structure Plan guides the development of future growth in the precinct.
Our analysis identified opportunities based on emerging local and broader trends. It considered:
- the industrial and commercial land use profile
- employment and economic trends
- the retail and community services profile, and
- the local and regional strategic context.
We identified a range of scenarios for the future role of the precinct, including realistic opportunities and trade-offs. Retaining economic activity was identified as a key priority. We also identified a range of potential statutory implementation mechanisms to support mixed uses within the precinct. These mechanisms included:
- commercial zones
- ‘fine grain’ zoning
- a business-oriented mixed use zone
- a special use zone
- vertical zoning
- implementing a floor area uplift scheme
- a revised design and development overlap, and
- a local planning and policy framework.