City of Yarra
Economic and employment strategy helps to strengthen the City of Yarra’s economy over the next 10-15 years.
Working with the City of Yarra, we prepared the ‘Yarra Spatial Economic and Employment Strategy’ to identify Yarra’s economic strengths and drivers over the next 10 to 15 years.
Using a robust evidence base (including an extensive community consultation process), we identified trends, issues, options and choices for planning Yarra’s future economy. The main change drivers that we identified included:
- growth in health sector employment
- strong growth in knowledge-intensive employment
- continuing decline in traditional industrial land uses, and
- continuing pressure to convert employment land to housing.
Our key recommendations included:
- supporting employment growth in Yarra’s established activity centres
- preserving Yarra’s larger, mixed employment precincts at Gipps Street and Cremorne to accommodate projected demand for commercial floor space
- identifying preferred locations for housing growth to reduce pressures for the ad hoc conversion of employment land, and
- anticipating demand for the expansion of health-related activities in and around designated health precincts.