Data Scientist Consultant - Sydney
- Shape public policy
- Permanent full time
- Surry Hills location
- B-Corp certified company
There are jobs and then there are careers
The opportunity to challenge yourself and learn new skills. The chance to do work that is meaningful. The prospect of being around passionate people, every day. That’s the kind of work you can expect at SGS.
We are an employee-owned organisation dedicated to helping business and government make successful policy and strategy decisions for the public interest.
We attract a range of original thinkers – from urban planners and economists, to data-scientists and creatives. A certified B Corp, we are part of a global movement of leaders using business as a force for good and we work to the highest social and environmental standards. An important member of our team, you’ll be using and advancing your skills to help shape a more equitable and sustainable future for people across Australia and overseas.
We offer an inclusive workplace with the opportunity to learn from and collaborate with senior team members. We also provide formal training, career development and the chance to build consulting expertise across a range of interesting and challenging projects.
About the role
We are seeking an early-career data scientist
who has a passion for analysing and visualising spatial data in highly creative
ways. In this role, you will work alongside
our economists, planning and policy experts so that our evidence-based
research makes an impact.
We are looking for the following types of skills and attributes:
- Expertise in Python pandas, R, and/ or SQL.
- Demonstrates spatial analytic skills and is comfortable working in GIS (i.e. QGIS, ArcGIS, MapInfo)
- Proficiency in data visualisation platforms such as Tableau, CartoDB and PowerBI
- Proficiency in MS Excel, statistics and machine learning
- Wants to apply creative data analytical skills to address real-world public policy problems
- Seeks a role that will shape the organisation’s approach to data and spatial analytics
- Able to pro-actively collect and prepare data from established and novel data sources
- Recognises the importance of communication, with strong written and verbal interpretation
While based in our in Surry Hills office, you’ll work with clients across Australia and New Zealand and, on occasion, internationally.
If this role sounds like you, please send a cover letter and resume that addresses the role requirements to
Note: Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.