Bill is a policy and project procurement expert with extensive executive-level experience in both the public and private sector, in Australia and internationally. Bill has had a diverse career and his experience spans finance and investment banking, policy advice, infrastructure and property. Bill has a unique understanding of project development from working on all phases from planning to construction and operations.
Bill has substantial experience in government, including leading infrastructure policy for the NSW Government as Executive Director in the NSW Premier’s Department Infrastructure Coordination Unit. His responsibilities included:
- Annual budget funding decisions for the entire NSW Capital Works program (Budget Paper No 4) based on direct liaison across NSW Premier’s Department, The Cabinet Office and NSW Treasury
- Preparation of new infrastructure policy in the Working with Government package for Privately Private Partnerships (PPPs) in NSW. This involved the roll-out of PPPs including the NSW Schools, Royal North Shore Hospital, Bonnyrigg Housing Redevelopment and M7 Orbital.
- Preparation of the first NSW State Infrastructure Strategic Plan (now NSW State Infrastructure Strategy)
- Assessing all unsolicited infrastructure proposals from the private sector – resulting in first approved project (Parramatta Station Transport Interchange)
- Overseeing regional infrastructure and economic development initiatives for NSW Premier’s Department - especially in urban growth areas such as Western Sydney, Newcastle, the Illawarra and the Central Coast.
He was also a senior adviser for the NSW Government Asset Management Committee and Chair of the NSW Government Property Disposal Panel. These duties gave him comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of agency portfolio planning, management, project development and asset disposal.
Bill has specialist skills in public private partnerships particularly in financing infrastructure. He has been involved in projects across all major infrastructure classes including transport, water, energy, hospitals, schools, housing, technology and prisons. Bill has also lead due diligence for large scale projects in China, India, Vietnam and Africa. As a result, he has strong analytical skills in preparing successful business cases including scenario development, sensitivity analysis, risk strategy and financial modelling.
Prior to joining SGS, Bill worked in investment banking in Australia and Asia. He spent time at Macquarie Bank as a Director of the Community Partnerships Group where he led the advisory mandate for the Tasmanian Affordable Housing Strategy PPP. This involved reconfiguring public housing estates and surplus land throughout Tasmania to determine future land use options.
At SGS, he has worked on major projects in NSW including the “NSW Infrastructure Contestability Guidelines” for NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet (January 2014) and the “NSW Cultural Infrastructure Investment Framework” for Infrastructure NSW(October 2014).