SGS aspires to continuously learn, create knowledge and constructively contribute to the formulation of good public policy and investment decisions. Being at the nexus between economics and planning, the issues that our clients are seeking to solve are predominately ‘spatial’ and are increasingly dependent on large complex data.
Often, critical insights are hidden within large disconnected datasets. Using innovative and creative techniques to present information visually, SGS cuts through this complexity to provide simple, yet profound, insight into a particular issue.
SGS has established strong capabilities in data creation, manipulation and visualisation. The Data and Spatial Analytics Area of Service is continuously utilising new data, software platforms and visualisation techniques to apply across our wide range of projects, allowing us to continue enhancing these capabilities.
Importantly, we have a focus on creating a tailored solution, unique to the policy question at hand.
Our clients in this area include private firms, Commonwealth Agencies, State Governments, Local Governments, and not-for-profit organisations. Previous work in this area includes: creating spatial datasets such as pedestrian networks in Melbourne and lot level employment data in Sydney; developing bespoke models in MS Excel, Python, R and web-based platforms for numerous clients; and visualising complex data in simple (interactive) maps and infographics which have been incorporated into key policy documents and published by the media.
Some of the key services we offer within the Data and Spatial Analytics Area of Service includes:
Web and data-driven products:
- Bespoke Excel-based tools with user interface, data visualisation and interactive mapping
- Fit for purpose Azure applications that integrate web interface with powerful cloud-based analytics and data storage
- Interactive web-based mapping
- Data dashboard with custom visuals and analytics, utilising Power BI and Tableau software.
GIS and spatial analysis services:
- Land audit application
- GIS based network analysis, including travel distance and time calculations and route analysis
- Land use suitability analysis and mapping
- Hex mapping for spatial cross-tabbing of datasets and clarity in interpreting information.
To discuss this topic further please contact Julian Szafraniec, National Area of Service Leader for Data and Spatial Analytics.
Discover a range of our digital insights on Third Space.