A values based independent College of Professionals
SGS Economics and Planning (SGS) is a leading planning and economics firm whose purpose is to shape policy and investment decisions to achieve sustainable places, communities and economies.
Our vision is to be a college of professionals providing Australia's best independent policy advice.
Our values are:
- Independence, ethics and integrity
- Insight research, innovation and relevance
- Quality, thoughtfulness, rigour and reliability
- Collegiality, respect, support, inclusiveness and passion
- Knowledge seeking and sharing, inspiring colleagues, partners and clients
- The public interest, social, economic, environmental, cultural and governance sustainability
SGS offers a range of consultancy projects for organisations in the public, private and non-profit sectors across Australia and around the world.
Our core service areas are:
- Economic and Social Analysis
- Data and Spatial Analytics
- Infrastructure Planning and Delivery
- Urban Policy and Governance
In addition to this, SGS provides GIS and modeling products and services as well as other tailored solutions to our clients that complement and add value to our Areas of Service offering.
How is SGS different?
- SGS is first and foremost for the public interest. We run a business to support our practice in public policy, rather than doing public policy as a business.
- We have a mutualised ownership structure. Once employees have demonstrated proficiency in the basic tools of consulting, and committed to the values and purpose of SGS, they are invited to join the partnership ranks of the company. This occurs at a much earlier stage in their careers and at a much lower subscription value than what they would face in an equivalent firm elsewhere.
- Partners receive a solid but fixed rate of return on their subscription. Unlike other firms, SGS is not about building capital value for an ownership group within the company. Our purpose is to positively influence public policy. Business surpluses are managed in this light, including a priority to invest in our people across the full spectrum of consulting and support staff.