A values based independent College of Professionals
SGS Economics and Planning (SGS) is a leading planning and economics firm whose purpose is to shape policy and investment decisions to achieve sustainable places, communities and economies.
Our vision is to be a college of professionals providing Australia's best independent policy advice.
SGS became a Certified B Corporation in 2017. B Corps use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. SGS was certified by the non-profit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. We’ve evaluated how our practices impact our employees, our community, the environment, and our customers.
Our values are:
- Independence, ethics and integrity
- Insight research, innovation and relevance
- Quality, thoughtfulness, rigour and reliability
- Collegiality, respect, support, inclusiveness and passion
- Knowledge seeking and sharing, inspiring colleagues, partners and clients
- The public interest, social, economic, environmental, cultural and governance sustainability
SGS offers a range of consultancy projects for organisations in the public, private and non-profit sectors across Australia and around the world.
Our core service areas are:
- Economic and Social Analysis
- Data and Spatial Analytics
- Infrastructure Planning and Delivery
- Urban Policy and Governance
In addition to this, SGS provides GIS and modeling products and services as well as other tailored solutions to our clients that complement and add value to our Areas of Service offering.
How is SGS different?
- We are first and foremost for the public interest. We run a business to support our practice in public policy, rather than practicing public policy for the business returns.
- We have a mutualised ownership structure. Once employees have demonstrated proficiency in consulting or management, and show commitment to our values and purpose, they are invited to become partners. This occurs at a much earlier stage in their careers and at a lower investment cost than in equivalent firms. This investment is a subscription for membership of the college of professionals.
- Our partners receive an attractive rate of return on their subscription, decided by the Board based on guidelines for profit distribution. In line with our ambition to positively influence public policy, we also prioritise investment in all our people.
- Our staff members are shareholders and this comes, as a minimum, with an entitlement to vote one staff member on to the Board.